Sunday, February 5, 2012

Just a Single Girl, Living in a Not So Single World...

This is going to be a bit of a vent session for me... A vent, a rant, or something of that nature. So I apologize in advance. There will probably not be any pictures this time, sorry! I do not mean to bore you. This is all just very heavy on my heart right now, and well you lovely people get to be my audience. So feel free to skip to the bottom if you wish. Haha.


Why is there so much pressure on people my age to be married right now? I feel as if 85% (at least) of the people I graduated with are all engaged, soon to be engaged, and married. Why isn't it just okay to be by myself? 


This pressure comes from everywhere, like your family, tv, movies, pinterest. Its all out there saying "In order to be happy you should do these things at this age and be here in your life." Well you know what I say to that? NO! 


Have you ever stopped to think hey, maybe that is why the divorce rate is so high? There are people who are practically still children getting married. They don't know who they are, what they want in life, or even how to stand on their own two feet with out mommy and daddy helping them out every step of the way. I am not excluding my self from that group either. Why rush it? You have your ENTIRE life to be married. You should just bask in the phase of life you are in now. Enjoy it. God has you here for a reason. 


This is just my opinion and how I feel, but sometimes it seems as if there is an added pressure if you are a Christian. Especially in the Bible belt. Does any one else feel this way? Its like, oh you are a Christian? Well then, you must be married to a Godly man and you must have 2.5 kids and you must do this this and this. If you don't follow that guideline then you must not be a strong Christian. Yes I know I am being very cynical, but this is how I feel. Its like as if because I am single, never dated, and I am actually okay with that something is wrong with me. Well guess what? According to 1 Corinthians 7 I am fine! I don't have to be married or ready to enter into marriage just yet. 


Did you know that in 1 Corinthians 7 when Paul was writing one of his many letters to the church he actually said he wishes everyone could be single, but just some can't handle it. He talks about in parts of the chapter that basically certain people are called to singleness, and guess what? It is okay! *GASP* I mean Paul's reasoning completely makes since. He says, "An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit." (Verse 34) That is how I strive to be. I want to be so concerned on God and how to bring him glory. I don't know if I could handle that kind of distraction. 


Do I want to get married eventually? Yes, absolutely. If that is what God has called me to then I am all in! Am I ready now? No I don't think so. I am fine by my self for now. I have enough support and love around me from my awesome friends and family where I am okay right now. I am ready for the idea of getting to know some one and growing in God together that maybe one day. If that is what God has decided for my life, but if He calls me to singleness forever then I will be fully content with that. I look at that as a blessing, as if I am a select chosen few who can handle it. Now it is just to get everyone else content with this idea. You know I am only in my early 20's, there is no need to panic. 


So I leave you with this...


"I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am." 1 Corinthians 7:6-8 (speaking of singleness being a gift from God.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment